- (UK) licence (noun)
- A legal document giving official permission to do something; a permit.
- 1970, John Cleese, Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 2, episode 10:
- Hello. I would like to buy a fish licence please.
- The legal terms under which a person is allowed to use a product, especially software.
- 1986, Thomas Smedinghoff, The Legal Guide to Developing, Protecting, and Marketing Software, page 166:
- Thus, while the license will grant the user the right to use the software, a major concern is the scope of that use. For example, will the user be granted the right to copy, modify, or transfer the software?
- Freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behaviour or speech).
- 2012, Chris Seepe, The Conspiracy to Assassinate Jesus Christ, page 5:
- In some instances, the author took license to include events which never happened, or to purposely create events which may run in the face of popular conjecture if the author felt it would help the story along.
- Excessive freedom; lack of due restraint.
- In British English, Canadian English, Australian English, Irish English, South African English and New Zealand English the noun is spelt licence and the verb is license.
- The spelling licence is not used for either part of speech in the United States.
- Against DRM license
- CERN Open Hardware License
- Compulsory license
- Creative Commons license
- CrimethInc. N©! license
- Design Science License
- Dominion Rules Licence
- European Union Public Licence
- Free Art License
- FreeBSD Documentation License
- Free license
- Game System License
- GNU Free Documentation License
- GNU Simpler Free Documentation License
- Mechanical license
- MirOS Licence
- MIT license
- Open Audio License
- Open Content License
- Open Directory License
- Open Government Licence
- Open Publication License
- Public copyright license
- Public information licence
- Public License
- Simputer General Public License
- TAPR Open Hardware License
- Viral license
- Voluntary Collective Licensing
legal document giving official permission to do something
legal terms of product usage
freedom to deviate from rules
- The act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization.
- It was decided to license Wikipedia under the GFDL.
- Authorize officially.
- I am licensed to practice law in this state.
- license in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- license in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- Licence in the Encyclopædia Britannica (11th edition, 1911)