- (intensifier) In a manner that uses all of the strength, speed, or effort that a person can summon.
- You'd better run like hell!
- 2018 May 4, Tom English, “Steven Gerrard: A 'seriously clever or recklessly stupid' Rangers appointment”, in BBC Sport:
- He had an innate honesty and humility, a work ethic that elevated him above most others in England. He knew what he wanted and worked like hell to try to make it happen.
- Used ironically to express the opposite of one's intentions
- Me do the washing up? Like hell I will!
- Bad or badly.
- You look like hell!
- It stank like hell down there!
using all strength, speed, effort that one can summon
expressing the opposite of one's intentions