See also: mémento
Borrowed from Latin mementō (“remember”), imperative form of meminī (“I remember”).
memento (plural mementos or mementoes)
- A keepsake; an object kept as a reminder of a place or event.
- I kept the shell as a memento of my visit to the seashore.
- 1944 July and August, “London Railway Stations in 1893”, in Railway Magazine, page 201, taken from The English Illustrated Magazine of June 1893:
- In conclusion, I would remark that the great railway stations of London deserve to be visited every whit as much as St. Paul's Cathedral, the Abbey, or the Tower, and they are as worthy a memento of this century as those buildings are of the days that are gone.
- 2011 December 16, Denis Campbell, “Hospital staff 'lack skills to cope with dementia patients'”, in Guardian:
- Many hospitals have not taken simple steps to lessen the distress and confusion which dementia sufferers' often feel on being somewhere so unfamiliar – such as making signs large and easy to read, using colour schemes to help patients find their way around unfamiliar wards and not putting family mementoes such as photographs nearby.
- The spelling momento is so common that some references now no longer consider it a misspelling.
- (plural): memorabilia
- “memento”, in Dictionary.com Unabridged, Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–present. (usage note)
memento m (plural mementi)
- memento in Treccani.it – Vocabolario Treccani on line, Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana
- (Classical) IPA(key): /meˈmen.toː/, [mɛˈmɛn̪t̪oː]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /meˈmen.to/, [meˈmɛn̪t̪o]
- memento in Charles du Fresne du Cange’s Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (augmented edition with additions by D. P. Carpenterius, Adelungius and others, edited by Léopold Favre, 1883–1887)
memento n (uncountable)
declension of memento (singular only)
|n gender||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
memento m (Cyrillic spelling мементо)
memento m (plural mementos)
- “memento”, in Diccionario de la lengua española, Vigésima tercera edición, Real Academia Española, 2014