miscue (plural miscues)
- (sports) In a cue sport, to make an error in hitting the ball with the cue.
- (theater) The act of missing one's cue or of responding to a cue intended for another actor.
- A miss of the object one intended to hit.
2010 December 28, Owen Phillips, “Sunderland 0 - 2 Blackpool”, in BBC:
- Some comical defending involving two terrible clearances saw Kingson called on to block Welbeck's strike and then Evatt made amends for his shocking miscue by heading Bent's powerful follow-up over the bar.
- (theater) To give an incorrect cue.
- (transitive) to mishit, strike incorrectly.
2016 April 18, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 1-0 Barcelona”, in BBC Sport:
- Fabregas was the guilty party when Chelsea had another escape soon after. Messi was the creator to set up Iniesta but when Cech could only push out his shot, the former Arsenal captain miscued his finish from eight yards.