- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmɔː.fiːn/
Audio (RP) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈmɔɹˌfin/
- (biochemistry, pharmacology) A crystalline alkaloid (7,8-didehydro-4,5-epoxy-17-methyl-morphinan-3,6-diol), extracted from opium, the salts of which are soluble in water and are used as analgesics, anaesthetics and sedatives; it is one of a group of morphine alkaloids.
- “morphine”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
- “morphine”, in Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
morphine f (uncountable)