- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnɪəɹɪst/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈnɪɹɪst/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: near‧est
- Closest; superlative form of : most near.
- Where is the nearest bus stop?
- I calculated the cost to the nearest 50 dollars.
- Closest to.
- Mercury is the planet nearest the Sun.
- 1843, Edgar Allan Poe, The Gold-Bug:
- Fastening one end of this at that point of the trunk of the tree which was nearest the peg, he unrolled it till it reached the peg and thence further unrolled it, in the direction already established by the two points of the tree and the peg, for the distance of fifty feet […]