- Rhymes: -æstə(ɹ)
- (transitive) To overpower or overwhelm.
- 1837, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Ethel Churchill, volume 1, page 303:
- Sir Jasper started from his chair, ashamed of the sick fancies that had, for the moment, overmastered him.
- 1897, Bram Stoker, chapter 21, in Dracula, New York, N.Y.: Modern Library, OCLC 688657546:
- Did I forget! Shall I ever . . . can I ever! Can any of us ever forget that terrible scene! Mina struggled hard to keep her brave countenance, but the pain overmastered her and she put her hands before her face, and shuddered whilst she moaned.