palatal + -ization or palatalize + -ation. Earliest instance 1863 (palatalisation does already occur in 1862 in W. H. I. Bleek's A comparative grammar of South African languages. Part I. Phonology)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌpælətəlaɪˈzeɪʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌpælətəlɪˈzeɪʃən/
palatalization (countable and uncountable, plural palatalizations)
- (phonology, uncountable) The state or quality of being palatalized, of pronouncing a sound with the tongue against the palate of the mouth that normally is not.
- The word "nature" is commonly pronounced with a palatalization of the letter t to sound like ch.
- (phonology, countable) An instance of pronunciation in which a sound is palatalized.
- palatalization (sound change) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- palatalization (phonetics) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia