- phthisick (obsolete)
- phthisique (dated)
- tisic (dated)
- tizzic, tissick (nonstandard)
From Middle English tisike, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin phthisicus (“suffering from tuberculosis”), from Ancient Greek φθισικός (phthisikós, “consumptive”), from φθίσις (phthísis, “tuberculosis, consumption”).
phthisic (countable and uncountable, plural phthisics)
- (pathology) A wasting illness of the lungs, such as asthma or tuberculosis; consumption; phthisis.
- (pathology, formerly) Any wasting disease.
- A person suffering from phthisis.
- Any wasting or shrinking of another body part such as, for example, the eye (phthisis bulbi).
phthisic (not comparable)
- Of or relating to phthisis or tuberculosis; tubercular; consumptive.
of or relating to phthisis