protonym (plural protonyms)
- (zoology, taxonomy) The first legitimate name of a taxon, on which the currently accepted name is based.
- 1968, Mien A. Rifai, The Australasian Pezizales in the Herbarium of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew:
- The protonym of Macroscyphus appears to be Nees von Esenbeck's (1817) [genus] Peziza ...
- 2005, Bertram Ludäscher; Louiqa Raschid, Data integration in the life sciences:
- Protonyms form the name for later revised opinions on a taxon concept as implicitly or explicitly circumscribed in a subsequent publication...
- (prescriptive, uncommon) The first/original entity after which another entity is named without the entities being related. If the entities are related, then the original entity is the eponym of the subsequent entities.
- protonym on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Glossary of scientific naming on Wikipedia.Wikipedia