safe + -en
safen (third-person singular simple present safens, present participle safening, simple past and past participle safened)
- (transitive) To make safe.
- 2002, Malachy Doyle, Georgie, page 12:
- She used to safen me when I was smaller, when I came here first. Her long, dark hair was my hiding place from the outside world.
- 2016, Kathryn Stockett, The Help, page 189:
- I take a deep breath because his knowing Cora Blue seems to safen things up a little.
- (transitive) To protect a crop from injury from a herbicide by adding a safener.
- “safen” in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.