salaryman (plural salarymen)
- An employee, a worker; now especially a Japanese white-collar worker who works long hours and has an insignificant position within the corporate hierarchy. [from 18th c.]
- 2000, Harry Harootunian, Overcome by Modernity, page 205:
- In this way, the salaryman was both a progressive social stratum and an intellectual class.
- 2017 May 30, NTT Solmare, Moe! Ninja Girls, Season 6 Chapter 2, iOS and Android
- ― Yamabuki: “Okay... *Sigh*... I thought l'd get to go home and sleep after taking the Principal back...but here I am, still at it, like an overworked salaryman!”
― John: “What? Salaryman?”
a salaried worker in Japan or South Korea