- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɜː.kə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈwɝ.kɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)kə(ɹ)
worker (plural workers)
- A person who performs labor for his living, especially manual labor.
2014 April 21, “Subtle effects”, in The Economist, volume 411, number 8884:
- Manganism has been known about since the 19th century, when miners exposed to ores containing manganese […] began to totter, slur their speech and behave like someone inebriated. The poisoning was irreversible, and soon ended in psychosis and death. Nowadays workers are exposed to far lower doses and manganism is rare.
- A nonreproductive social insect, such as ant, bee, termite or wasp.
- (rare) A female ant, bee, termite or wasp.
- (computing) A thread performing one instance of a particular task within a program.
- This FTP client spawns a separate worker for each file to be uploaded.
person who performs labor