set the stage
- (idiomatic) To prepare; to establish the basis or required conditions.
- 2016 May 22, Phil McNulty, “Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United”, in BBC:
- Pardew was a member of the Palace side that lost in a replay to United at Wembley in 1990 and was in charge of West Ham when they were hit by Steven Gerrard's famous late equaliser in Cardiff that set the stage for Liverpool to beat the Hammers on penalties after a 3-3 draw.
- 2008 March 20, Kristina Dell, "A Voter's Guide to the Economy," Time:
- White House policies—on taxing and spending, trade and regulation—will set the stage for recovery.