From the popular geek news site Slashdot (http://slashdot.org).
- (computing, Internet) To render a web site slow or unusable via the unusually large number of page requests that result from a link on a very popular web site.
- 2002, Shelley Powers et al., Unix Power Tools 
- If these numbers are significantly higher than normal usage, something is amiss (perhaps your web server has been slashdotted).
- , 2006 Matthew Strebe, The Best of SlashNOT, 2002–2005 
- And that guy is supposed to be thrilled to lose both his inbound and outbound connections and e-mail for the joy of having been slashdotted.
- 2005, Ivan Ristic, Apache Security 
- Sites that have been slashdotted report traffic between several hundred and several thousand hits per minute.
- 2005, Charles Stross, Accelerando 
- Oh shit, thinks Manfred, better buy some more server time. He can recognize the signs: He's about to be slashdotted.
- 2002, Shelley Powers et al., Unix Power Tools