- An undesirable, lackluster, and artificial foodstuff, as a substitute for real meat.
- 1976, Pfaffenberger, Roger C., Mathematical Programming for Economics and Business, Ames: Iowa State University Press, →ISBN, LCCN 75023045:
- It is decided that the product will be composed of three elements — soylent green, red, and blue. Each pound of the final product must contain at least 2000 calories of energy and 1000 units of vitamins.
- 2008, Berryhill, Shane, Chance Fortune and the Outlaws, New York: Starscape, published 2011, chapter 8:
- “Today's selection is Superaide with a choice of soylent yellow or soylent red,” the servodroid said.