- Written law, as laid down by the legislature.
- (law, common law) Legislated rule of society which has been given the force of law by those it governs.
written law as laid down by the legislature
legislated rule of society which has been given the force of law
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- statute in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- statute in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- statute in Harry Thurston Peck, editor (1898) Harper's Dictionary of Classical Antiquities, New York: Harper & Brothers