suprasegmental (plural suprasegmentals)
- (phonetics) An effect on speech, such as length, stress, tone, and phonation type, that extends over more than one segment of sounds.
suprasegmental (not comparable)
- Of or relating to a suprasegmental.
- 1984, John DeFrancis, The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy (nonfiction), University of Hawaii Press, page 42:
- There are two kinds of phonemes in Chinese: segmental phonemes, which may be thought of as sequential sounds, and suprasegmental phonemes or tones, which in a sense are added to the syllable as a whole.
- More than a segment.
- of or relating to a suprasegmental
suprasegmental (plural suprasegmentales)