Borrowed from Narragansett tautauog, plural of taut.
tautog (plural tautogs)
- A fish of the wrasse family found in salt water off of eastern North America from Nova Scotia to South Carolina (Tautoga onitis).
- 2007 August 22, Ellen Barry And James Estrin, “Like Ducks and Penguins, With Nervous Stomachs”, in New York Times:
- The fish he found were nothing unusual: cunner and tautog, small fish generally found around pilings or rocky shores, and one weakfish.
- (Tautoga onitis): blackfish, black porgy, oyster-fish
- Tautoga onitis on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Tautoga onitis on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Tautoga onitis on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons