- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈθɔːtləs/, /ˈθɔːtlɪs/
- (General American) enPR: thôt’ləs, thôt’lĭs, IPA(key): /ˈθɔtləs/, /ˈθɔtlɪs/
- (cot–caught merger) enPR: thät’ləs, thät’lĭs, IPA(key): /ˈθɑtləs/, /ˈθɑtlɪs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Marked by or showing lack of due thought or care; careless.
- Inconsiderate, inattentive.
- A thoughtless remark.
- Lacking thought or consideration.
- The debate turned into thoughtless bickering.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, H.L. Brækstad, transl., Folk and Fairy Tales, page 281:
- In thoughtless and breathless fear I rushed forward to avoid this host of demons, but while flying thus still more frightful and distorted shapes appeared, and I fancied I felt their hands clutching me.