See also: Tuff
- (petrology) A light porous rock, now especially a rock composed of compacted volcanic ash varying in size from fine sand to coarse gravel.
- Synonym: tufa
- 2004, Richard Fortey, The Earth, Folio Society 2011, p. 9n:
- This is what makes an ignimbrite; the general term for this kind of volcaniclastic rock is ‘tuff’.
a rock composed of compacted volcanic ash
- Eye dialect spelling of .
- 2010 January 20, Robert J. Elisberg, “CES 2020 -- Ohm on the Range”, in Huffington Post, retrieved 2012-09-14:
- Its Tuff-n-Tiny USB flash drive is about the size of a thumbnail. … The company insists that the "tuff" part of the name is well-earned for being waterproof, dustproof and you can drive a car over it.
- Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia, tuff