turlough (plural turloughs)
- (Ireland) A temporary lake in an area of limestone, filled by rising groundwater during the rainy winter season.
- 2008, David Riley, A Celtic Tale, page 75:
- Naisi said that it was a turlough, or a disappearing lake, and that before the year's end, it would be full of water again.
- 2011, Dermot Bolger, The Journey Home, page 108:
- How deep was that small lake—more a turlough really, filled with water in autumn and winter, a dry hollow in summer […]
- (temporary lake): vernal pool