twite (plural twites)
- A small passerine bird, Linaria flavirostris (syn. Carduelis flavirostris), that breeds in northern Europe and across central Asia.
- 1976, J. T. R. Sharrock, The Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland, page 420:
- The Twite has the distinction of being the only European bird derived from the Tibetan fauna type.
- 1986, Valerie M. Thom, Birds in Scotland, page 331:
- Twites also breed in southwest and central Asia – at up to 3,500 m asl in Tibet – and it is supposed that the European relict populations became isolated during the retreat of the ice age (Voous 1960).
- 2007, Simon Wood, The Birds of Essex, page 557:
- With subsequent climate warming, Twites in Europe followed the tundra north and became isolated.