- (linguistics) A system for writing one or more languages; a particular alphabetic, syllabic, logographic, or other scheme. For example, the Latin alphabet or the Cyrillic alphabet.
- (linguistics, specifically) The basic type of a system for writing languages. For example, alphabetic writing or logographic writing.
- (system for writing one or more languages) script
system for writing one or more languages
basic type of system for writing langauges
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Florian Coulmas ed. (1999), sv “writing system” in The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Writing Systems. Blackwell Publishing (Blackwell Reference Online, accessed 2013-02-08).