antecedent (not comparable)
- Earlier, either in time or order.
- an event antecedent to the Biblical Flood
- an antecedent cause
- an antecedent improbability
earlier in time or order
antecedent (plural antecedents)
- Any thing that precedes another thing, especially the cause of the second thing.
- An ancestor.
- (grammar) A word, phrase or clause referred to by a pronoun.
- (logic) The conditional part of a hypothetical proposition.
- (mathematics) The first term of a ratio, i.e. the term a in the ratio a:b, the other being the consequent.
- (something which precedes): precedent, precursor
- (an ancestor): ascendant, ascendent, forebear, forefather, forerunner, predecessor, progenitor
any thing that precedes another thing
word, phrase or clause referred to by a pronoun
conditional part of a hypothetical proposition
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (logic): consequent
- (linguistics): anafoor
Read in another language
This page is available in 22 languages