- (transitive) To make stable or firm; to confirm.
- (transitive) To form; to found; to institute; to set up in business.
- (transitive) To appoint or adopt, as officers, laws, regulations, guidelines, etc.; to enact; to ordain.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 4, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- By some paradoxical evolution rancour and intolerance have been established in the vanguard of primitive Christianity. Mrs. Spoker, in common with many of the stricter disciples of righteousness, was as inclement in demeanour as she was cadaverous in aspect.
- (transitive) To prove and cause to be accepted as true; to establish a fact; to demonstrate.
To make stable or firm; to confirm
To form; to set up in business
To found; to institute
To appoint, as officers, laws, regulations, etc.; to enact; to ordain
To prove and cause to be accepted as true; to establish a fact; to demonstrate
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked