See also Pond
- (UK) enPR: pŏnd, IPA: /pɒnd/, X-SAMPA: /pQnd/
- Rhymes: -ɒnd
- (US) enPR: pänd, IPA: /pɑnd/, X-SAMPA: /pAnd/
Audio (US) (file)
Variant of pound.
pond (plural ponds)
- An inland body of standing water, either natural or man-made, that is smaller than a lake.
- (colloquial) The Atlantic Ocean. Especially in across the pond.
- I wonder how they do this on the other side of the pond.
- I haven't been back home across the pond in twenty years.
The Atlantic Ocean
- To block the flow of water so that it can escape only through evaporation or seepage; to dam.
- To make into a pond; to collect, as water, in a pond by damming.
- (obsolete) To ponder.
- Pleaseth you, pond your suppliant's plaint.
pond c (plural ponden, diminutive pondje)
- pound (currency)