Recorded in English from 1433, "income from property or possessions", from Middle French revenue, from Old French "a return" (modern French 'revenu'), the prop. feminine past participle of revenir (“come back”) (=modern French), from Latin revenire (“to return, come back”), from re- (“back”) + venire (“to come”)
revenue (plural revenues)
- The income returned by an investment.
- The total income received from a given source.
- All income generated for some political entity's treasury by taxation and other means.
- (accounting) The total sales; turnover.
- (accounting) The net revenue, net sales.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
From the verb revenir
revenue f (plural revenues)
- feminine past participle of
Read in another language
This page is available in 27 languages