From Hebrew עובדיה (Ovadya, “servant of Yahweh”); comparable to Arabic عبد اللّٰه (ʿabd-allah, “servant of God”).
Obadiah on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌoʊbəˈdaɪə/
- Rhymes: -aɪə
- A book of the Old Testament of the Bible, and of the Tanakh.
- Synonym: (abbreviation) Obad.
- A minor prophet.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Obadiah 1:1::
- The vision of Obadiah. Thus saith the Lord God concerning Edom; We have heard a rumour from the Lord, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise ye, and let us rise up against her in battle.
- A male given name from Hebrew, of biblical origin.
book of the Old Testament