- From Welsh tros (over) + hynt (way), often taken to mean "the trespasser"
- Another possibility: a shortening of "Tranent", or "Tranant" in Scottish Gaelic, a geographical location in East Lothian. "Tranant" itself is possibly of Brythonic origin.
- (less common form) Trento, the city in Italy.
- A river that rises in Staffordshire and flows to join the Ouse and form the Humber estuary.
- An English and Scottish topographic surname for someone who lived near any of the rivers of that name.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.