From Old French hamelet, diminutive of Old French hamel (Modern French hameau), in turn diminutive of Old French ham, of Germanic origin. Cognates include home, Dutch heem, German Heim, Old English hām.
hamlet (plural hamlets)
- A small village or a group of houses.
- (Britain) A village that does not have its own church.
- Any of the fish of the genus Hypoplectrus in the family Serranidae.
- (small village): settlement
village without its own church
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked