|Search user languages or scripts|
Linguist. So I study lots of languages, and the Babel list over there is pretty arbitrary. I'd prefer to lower some of those higher numbers down half a point just to be on the safe side, but the 3-2-1 division roughly reflects something. Also ja-1 but only in romanization.
I have no particular expertise in Basque (or any other of these languages), but I do own Larry Trask's history of it and the Croom Helm reference grammar, among others, and did evening classes with a native speaker.
Or looking at it from the other direction: I only own one book on each of Akkadian, Bidyara, Bulgarian, Gothic, Korean, Maltese, Mongolian, Quechua, Romani, Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, Sanskrit, Shona, Sumerian, Tamil, Urdu, Yoruba, and Zulu. And some extinct South Arabian language whose name eludes me.
- IPA(key): /is̻tegiʎaɾi/ invalid IPA characters (g), replace g with ɡ (in proper Basque)
- IPA(key): /ɪsˌtegiˈlɑːri/ invalid IPA characters (g), replace g with ɡ (in running English)
Let me use this space to record the IPA symbols for the apical sibilant s [s̺] (with an upended dental sign) and the laminal sibilant z [s̻] (with a box). I got these from the word mesedez, which conveniently had them the wrong way round. So I've fixed that. Further note to self: when copying, start at left and arrow two places right, or you only get the s.
- Favourite combination of senses: かむろ (“bobbed hair; baldness; young girl attendant of a high-class prostitute”) Runners-up: ǀxâã (“dance; revere; menstruate for the first time; turn round and round (causing giddiness), hover (as a bird), swing”) and -GHAAZH (“make bubbles; shout; be sleeping”)
- Favourite local custom: წაწლობა (c̣ac̣loba, “An obsolete, sexual practice in Pshavi according to which a young boy and girl would sleep together without actually having sex, which was strictly prohibited.”) Runner-up: qhamuluṭéeli (“woman who secretly bakes ash cakes”)
- Favourite proof that Dutch is a fake language invented to mock English-speakers: broodrooster (“toaster”)
- Favourite category: Category:got:Commelinids. (Ulfilas did tend to bang on a bit about strelitzias, kangaroo paws, bananas, and cardamom.) Close runner-up: Category:Chinese_terms_borrowed_from_Somali ("zebra", to save you looking).
- Just plain favourite: A glimpse into the future