- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈænɪkdeɪtə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈænikdætə/, /-ɾə/
- Hyphenation: an‧ec‧da‧ta
- (usually humorous or pejorative) Anecdotal evidence. [from 1980s]
1992 March 6, Paul Solman, “Guessing Game [show #4285]”, in The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour:
- A handful of stores, just one mall, not what you'd call a statistically significant sample. In fact, the most recent government report was that retail sales rose in January, which just goes to show why the journalist's approach to reality, what you might call "anecdata," may be the flimsiest form of forecasting.
1997 October 2, Chris Doherty, “Re: Take Back the Night 1997”, in uw.general, Usenet, message-ID <EHFr1r.CpH@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>:
- Anecodotal evidence strongly suggests that this is just the high profile expression of a much larger problem of misogynistic violence. / Ah, yes. Anecdata. Fortunately, real honest studies which are peer-reviewed and critiqued suggest otherwise.
2003, Justin Hughes, “Legal Pressures in Intellectual Property Law”, in Julie M. Esanu and Paul F. Uhlir, editors, The Role of Scientific and Technical Data in the Public Domain: Proceedings of a Symposium, Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, ISBN 978-0-309-08850-3, page 97:
- That is one of those stories that I call “anecdata”—these horror stories over which we try to construct theories about how something is or is not working in IP law and policy.
2004 April 23, David J. Windisch, “Anecdata: was Re: Lattin antenna … more info sources … experiences”, in rec.radio.amateur.antenna, Usenet, message-ID <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
- Might even try this anecdata in Roy's Toy3, to see if its gui-ed algorithm-ized academic mumblings prove this scandalous anecdata.
2005 July 18, Lindsay Endell, “Re: Roy Meadow”, in uk.misc, Usenet, message-ID <email@example.com>:
- I have read interviews with people (yeah, I know, anecdata) who have said that they wanted an apology for a mistake being made and ended up going to court over it. And invariably winning.