- Contending or acting against.
- They were distinct, adverse, even antagonistic.
- 1866, American Journal of Pharmacy and the Sciences Supporting Public Health:
- Though the tephrosia is a powerful agent, and, if carried too far beyond the antagonistic action of the poison, is, I presume, not entirely without danger, I have never known any bad symptoms to arise from its use.
- 2002, Barry Ames, The Deadlock of Democracy in Brazil, page 171:
- And deputies from opposing parties, inherently more antagonistic than deputies from the same party, can be bought at a lower price.
- (biochemistry) Relating to an antagonist
- See also Thesaurus:combative