- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌænθɹəˈpɒlədʒi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌænθɹəˈpɑːlədʒi/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒlədʒi
- The holistic scientific and social study of humanity, mainly using ethnography as its method.
- According to anthropology, there are six basic patterns of kinship terminology (i.e., "kin naming systems"): Sudanese, Hawaiian, Eskimo, Crow, Omaha, and Iroquois.
- Anthropology is distinguished from other social science disciplines by its emphasis on in-depth examination of context, cross-cultural comparisons, and the importance it places on long-term, experiential immersion in the area of research.
- See also Thesaurus:anthropology
the study of humanity