From Old Irish áes.
aois f (genitive singular aoise, nominative plural aoiseanna)
- age (of person)
Cá haois é? Cén aois é? ― How old is he? (lit. What age is he?)
Cárbh aois é? ― How old was he? (lit. What age was he?)
- period of expectation of life
- old age
- period, era, age (historical period)
meán aoiseanna ― Middle Ages
Bhí sé ag tús na 18ú haoise ― It was at the beginning of the 18th century
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- "aois" in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, An Gúm, 1977, by Niall Ó Dónaill.
- C. Marstrander, E. G. Quin et al., editors (1913–76), “1 áes”, in Dictionary of the Irish Language: Based Mainly on Old and Middle Irish Materials, Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, →ISBN
- Entries containing “aois” in English-Irish Dictionary, An Gúm, 1959, by Tomás de Bhaldraithe.
- Entries containing “aois” in New English-Irish Dictionary by Foras na Gaeilge.