- (pathology, cytology) The destruction of an organism's cells by enzymes produced by the organism itself.
- (pathology) The autodigestion of the tissues of an organism.
- Synonym: autodigestion
- (pathology) The autocytolysis of blood cells.
- (wine) The decomposition of dead yeast cells in wine after fermentation.
- (baking) A two-stage mixing process where water and flour are combined first before adding leavening and salt.
- 2004, Harold McGee, chapter 10, in On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, Scribner, →ISBN:
- Autolysis involves combining only the flour and water and letting them sit for 15– 30 minutes before adding the leavening and salt. According to Calvel, this initial preparation gives the starch and the gluten proteins a chance to absorb as much water as possible without the interference of salt, and allows the gluten chains to shorten more […]
the destruction of an organism's cells by enzymes