azimuth (plural azimuths)
- An arc of the horizon intercepted between the meridian of the place and a vertical circle passing through the center of any object.
- the azimuth of a star
- the azimuth or bearing of a line surveying
- The quadrant of an azimuth circle.
- 1882, Thomas Hardy, chapter II, in Two on a Tower. A Romance. [...] In Three Volumes, volume II, London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, […], OCLC 654408264, pages 21–22:
- The dome, being constructed of wood, was light by comparison with the rest of the structure, and the wheels which allowed it horizontal, or, as Swithin expressed it, azimuth motion, denied it a firm hold upon the walls; so that it had been lifted off them like a cover from a pot.
arc of the horizon
quadrant of an azimuth circle