behind closed doors
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) In private; in one's private life; lacking (normal) public disclosure, in camera.
- Synonyms: closed door, with closed doors
- What you do with your girlfriend behind closed doors is none of my business.
- 2018 January 25, Amelia Gentleman, “Men-only clubs and menace: how the establishment maintains male power”, in the Guardian:
- A brilliant piece of undercover reporting revealed extraordinary details of how senior City executives behave behind closed doors.
- 2021 December 29, Nigel Harris, “Comment: Problems galore in 2021...”, in RAIL, number 947, page 3:
- A major problem has been the making of bad decisions behind closed doors.
- (idiomatic, sports) Without public spectators.
- Libya's opening home match in the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon will be played at a neutral venue and behind closed doors, FIFA said on Friday.