- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbjʊəɹəkɹæt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈbjʊɹəkɹæt/
- Hyphenation: bu‧reau‧crat
bureaucrat (plural bureaucrats)
- An official who is part of a bureaucracy.
- (Wiktionary and WMF jargon) A wiki user with the right to change user access levels.
The term bureaucrat, while often used in a professional and respectful manner, is oftentimes disdained by those who work in organizations, especially governmental organizations. This is due to connotations of rigidity, indifference, and especially laziness that the term can sometimes connote (the latter especially reflected in the oft-repeated derisive term lazy bureaucrat). As a result, many workers in organizations, especially governmental ones, prefer terms such as manager, public manager, civil servant, public servant, public official, etc.