- Any of the about 250 species of flowering plant of the genus Nepeta, family Lamiaceae, certain of which are said to have medicinal qualities.
- (figuratively) Something that causes excitement or interest.
- 2016 October 24, Owen Gibson, “Is the unthinkable happening – are people finally switching the football off?”, in The Guardian, London:
- Since Rupert Murdoch famously bet the farm on Premier League football to rescue Sky TV in 1991, it has been the catnip that has underpinned subscriber loyalty and, even in a far more complicated media landscape, is seen as so vital as to be worth almost any price.
- 2019 September 14, Elizabeth Paton, “A Fashion/Food Blowout in the Shadow of Brexit”, in New York Times:
- This hot new Shoreditch trattoria already is catnip for the style set.
plants of the genus Nepeta, family Lamiaceae
specific species which causes intoxication among cats
- catnip on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Nepeta on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- “catnip” in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press.
catnip m (plural catnips)