See also: Commodore
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑmədɔɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒmədɔː/
Audio (US) (file)
commodore (plural commodores)
- (military, nautical) A naval officer holding a rank between captain and rear admiral.
- (nautical) A (temporary) commander over a collection of ships who is not an admiral.
- (nautical) The leading ship in a fleet of merchantmen.
- (nautical) The president of a yacht club.
- (nautical) A yacht-club president's vessel in a regatta.
- (US, military, nautical) A commodore admiral.
- (US, military, nautical) A rear admiral (lower half).
- (entomology) Any of various nymphalid butterflies of the Asian genus Parasarpa.
- (non-flag naval rank): senior captain, fleet captain, flag captain
- (nautical): senior captain, fleet captain, flag captain, shipmaster senior grade
- (flag naval rank): CDRE, COMO (abbreviation)
- (naval rank): Cmdre, Cmdre. (abbreviation)
a commander over a collection of ships who is not an admiral
president of a yacht club
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
commodore m or f (plural commodores)
- (military, nautical) commodore, a naval military rank between captain (capitaine de vaisseau or capitaine de croiseur) and rear admiral (contre-amiral)