- The state of being compatible; in which two or more things are able to exist or work together in combination without problems or conflict.
- (telecommunications) the capability of two or more items or components of equipment or material to exist or function in the same system or environment without mutual interference.
- (computing) the ability to execute a given program on different types of computers without modification of the program or the computers. See backward compatibility and forward compatibility.
- (computing) the capability that allows the substitution of one subsystem (storage facility), or of one functional unit (e.g., hardware, software), for the originally designated system or functional unit in a relatively transparent manner, without loss of information and without the introduction of errors.
- (structural analysis) the continuity or good fit of material or members or components while being deformed.
the capability to exist without mutual interference
the ability to execute programmes on different computers without any modification.