See also: Davy
davy (plural davies)
- An affidavit, a legally binding statement or oath
- Rather than testify in open court, each sailor posted a davy before sailing off.
- 1883, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, John Wilson and Son, 1895, page 66
- "You and me should get on well, Hawkins, for I'll take my davy I should be rated ship's boy."
- A Davy lamp, a type of safety lamp.
- The miner knew the old davy was safer than any open flame, but far riskier than a modern flashlight.
- 2009, Dictionary of Energy: Expanded Edition edited by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris, Elsevier, 2009, page 124
- He also developed the innovative davy lamp for use in coal mines.