- the quality of being decent; propriety
- Observances of time, place, and of decency in general.
- Immodest words admit of no defence, / For want of decency is want of sense.
- That which is proper or becoming.
- The external decencies of worship.
- Those thousand decencies, that daily flow / From all her words and actions.
2016 August 7, John Oliver, “Journalism”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 3, episode 20, HBO:
- Now, what is interesting about that poem is nothing. But, what is relevant about it is that his muse is his wife, Marcela, who is 42 years younger than him. He is 75, she is 33. And I’ll say this, at least when 70-something American politicians get creepily handsy with 30-something women, they have the decency to do so with their own daughters. Have some class, Brazil! Have some class!
quality of being decent