See also: dress-up
- (intransitive) To wear fancy dress.
- Antonym: dress down
- Everyone dressed up for the graduation ball.
- I want a job where I don't have to dress up.
- (intransitive) To wear a costume; to put on a costume.
- We're having a party on Saturday, but you must dress up as a famous historical figure.
- (transitive) To decorate; to prettify.
- (transitive) To present in a favorable light.
- Synonym: spin
- You can dress up that proposal however you want, it's still going to go over like a lead balloon.
to wear fancy dress