See also: dress-up
- (intransitive) To put on special or fancy clothes.
- Antonym: dress down
- Everyone dressed up for the graduation ball.
- I want a job where I don't have to dress up.
- (intransitive, often with 'as') To put on a costume portraying oneself as a particular type of character or well-known person.
- We're having a party on Saturday, but you must dress up as a famous historical figure.
- (transitive) To decorate; to prettify.
- (transitive) To present in a favorable light.
- Synonym: spin
- You can dress up that proposal however you want, it's still going to go over like a lead balloon.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
to put on special or fancy clothes