Audio (AU) (file)
- An organized practice to prepare occupants of an office, school or other public building for evacuation in the event of a fire.
- Our teacher said that will have a fire drill today.
- (idiomatic, US) Any pointless, unproductive, useless, or chaotic activity.
- Since they've changed the standards again, our previous efforts now just amount to a fire drill.
- A fire-starting tool consisting of a wooden rod and an some primitive means of rapidly rotating the rod on a flat surface like a drill until tinder can be ignited.
- 1999, Paul Douglas Campbell, Survival Skills of Native California, →ISBN, page 4:
- There is no machine on earth so potent, yet so simple and elegant, as the two sticks of the Native American fire drill;
- (fire starting tool): bow drill, fire stick, pump drill
- (pointless activity): Chinese fire drill
- (evacuation practice for a fire): fire practice
practice to prepare for evacuation in the event of a fire
rod which is rotated on a flat surface