- An organised practice to prepare occupants of an office, school or other public building for evacuation in the event of a fire.
- (idiomatic, US) Any pointless, unproductive, useless, or chaotic activity.
- Since they've changed the standards again, our previous efforts now just amount to a fire drill.
- A fire starting tool consisting of rod and a bow which is used to rotate the rod on a flat surface like a drill until it is hot enough to start a fire.
1999, Paul Douglas Campbell, Survival Skills of Native California, ISBN 0879059214, page 4:
- There is no machine on earth so potent, yet so simple and elegant, as the two sticks of the Native American fire drill;
practice to prepare for evacuation in the event of a fire
rod which is rotated on a flat surface