- Without use or possibility to be used.
- This fork's prongs are bent. It's useless now.
- 2021 June 30, Philip Haigh, “Regional trains squeezed as ECML congestion heads north”, in RAIL, number 934, page 53:
- I'm all for opening new stations (Transport Scotland is planning another at East Linton, about halfway between Drem and Dunbar), but they are useless without a decent service.
- Unhelpful, not useful; pointless (of an action).
- I think it's useless to keep this discussion going. It's like talking to a brick wall.
- I tried my best to make him quit smoking, but my efforts were useless. He now smokes six packs a day.
- (derogatory, of a person) Good-for-nothing; not dependable.
- Bill never mows the lawn, takes out the trash or anything. He's useless, but I love him anyways.
- (colloquial, of a person) Unable to do well at a particular task or thing. Useless is mildly insulting.
- My brother is useless at most computer games, but he is an awesome PS2 player.
- Why do you keep trying? You're obviously useless at it.
without use or possibility to be used
good-for-nothing, not dependable
unable to do well