- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈflɔɹ(j)uɪt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈflɔːɹʊɪt/, /ˈflɒɹʊɪt/
floruit (plural floruits)
- The time period during which a person, group, culture, etc. is at its peak.
- Synonym: flowering
- 2005, James A. Arieti, Philosophy in the Ancient World, Rowman & Littlefield (→ISBN), page xxi:
- Though Aristotle claimed that a human being reaches his intellectual peak at age forty-nine (Rhetoric 1390b9), chronologists reckon a person's flowering—his floruit—at about age forty. The mists of time have made the precise reckoning of chronology quite difficult. Sometimes, when a birth is not known, a floruit can be estimated on the basis of what is known about an individual's career.
peak period of a person/culture/group