- Having the characteristics of a husband; marital.
2008 May 26, Jon Pareles, “New CDs”, in New York Times:
- He strives for husbandly allure in slow-motion ballads: “Love You Gently” and the role-reversing “Trading Places,” in which he calls for her to be the aggressive one and offers to make breakfast the next morning.
- 2012, Faramerz Dabhoiwala, The Origins of Sex, Penguin 2013, p. 211:
- As a result, analogies between royal, paternal, and husbandly authority were frequently drawn.
- (obsolete) Pertaining to a husbandman or husbandry.
- (obsolete) Frugal; economical.
1707, Ofspring Blackall, The blessedness of the poor in spirit:
- Even he that has the most of all is nevertheless oblig'd to be Frugal and Husbandly, and not to lavish or squander away what he has [...].